Monday, January 18, 2010

Extreme Eating, Extreme Jogging

Extreme Eating / Extreme Jogging

Being new to the city and culture, both special celebrations and common activities are fascinating to me. I was able to attend a Cambodian wedding this weekend, which was a suprise as my longest standing relationship here had been established for the duration of one week. It was a Christian wedding, so it didn't follow all of the traditions, but it was a new experience for me nonetheless. The woman was from the US and the man was from Cambodia - so moving to see them meld two cultures, two completely different lives. All of the guests were dressed in their finest attire, especially the women, who wore intricately beaded tops in vibrant colors. I was told more than once that black and white were only worn to funerals - never weddings - so I suppose I will need to get a new dress at some point. They do overlook the mistakes of foreigners - again, very gracious and forgiving. A woman took me under her wing and taught me the dances, most of which were done as a large group. It was beautiful to watch thirty people move as one body. And then there was me, ever so graceful! I tried to control my long ol' limbs as I imitated a swimming fish and the motion of plucking flower petals, but I will be quite content never seeing the footage. The spread was incredible - fish loaves wrapped in banana leaves, fish balls, ground pork with many spices, curry, and an entire river swimmer dropped in the middle of the table. I haven't said no to a single dish, and I wasn't about to pass up these delicacies ... which had it's own set of consequences. Extreme consequences.

I’m also sure jogging, with such a moderate level of intensity, has never been named extreme – but I imagine that’s because it is typically done in quiet neighborhoods, along winding country roads, or on treadmills. I went for a run Saturday morning – which, of course for me has never really been an actual run – and it was a lot like being in a video game. Dodge the moto, jump the pothole, run around the tuk tuk, step over the burning pile of trash and swerve through the market. I made my way to a small track behind a government school, and avoided eye contact with the guards. I think I’m supposed to have an id card, but my housemate said I’m white enough to get through. I hate birds, but I decided that I must make my peace with the chickens so I can continue to share their space. The children here attend school on Saturdays, so the area was still very busy. There were some men lining the grass for soccer boundaries – they were taking great care with a paint roller. I’m enjoying simple experiences like these the most… just watching daily life happen as I try to fit into it somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment