Wednesday, December 1, 2010

KC in Cambodia


It is so great to have my dad here, and he is absolutely loving it! Four of the teachers joined me to welcome him at the airport with trumpets and a red carpet - they were very excited to meet him, and even at 11:30 p.m. were all smiles. The town was deserted at midnight, but Dad quickly jumped into the traffic on the back of a moto and joined the madness of the city as it comes alive in the daylight hours. I haven't been able to slow him down! He takes off during the day and we meet up when I'm finished with work - keeps saying "This is better than Disneyland!" He came to the school the first morning and spent some time with our director and teachers. Everyone loved him immediately, and within minutes he received notes from the second grade girls, asking him to play. The teachers now have a cup of coffee (or three) ready for him every time he shows up, and they are truly delighted by his presence. One woman said, "You are so happy - you are a good person to be around when I am not." Ain't that the truth! I agree - he has such a strong presence. I have already felt a change in my spirits - his enthusiasm is helping me have a renewed excitement for the school and the kids and the city. It is still kind of surreal - I felt so removed from the rest of the world, and now my pops is kickin it with me in a tuk tuk! We have been laughing a ton - it is so fun to talk about what's happening around us, and his stories from each day are hilarious... the looks he gets, the loads he sees, the interactions with people as he explores Phnom Penh. He has been bartering with women at the market and getting some sweet deals on rides around the city... I need to take some lessons. We are going to attend a Cambodian wedding this weekend, which will be such a good cultural experience (woot woot - more dancing and food!) and then we are heading to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and the other temples. I planned on running the 10K, but my back gave up on that idea about a week ago. We may do our temple hopping by bike - both of us know how to work up a good sweat, so that will be our workout. Not much time to write these days - busy working and playing! But there will be plenty of stories to share, guaranteed!

1 comment:

  1. Don't have too much fun with your dad. We need you both back in Washington for our Carlson Family Sing A Long!
    Glad you are having fun, but we can't wait to have you back home.
    I think you should try to get your dad to play a few songs at the wedding this weekend. The Cambodians would probably love a little country music. My personal choice would be, " I like my women a little on the trashy side."
    Love,
    Ben, Casey, Quincy and Cruz

    ReplyDelete