Thursday, April 1, 2010

Invisible

I watched a movie the other night called "Invictus" – you may have seen it. It is a powerful story, a true story, about Nelson Mandela and his vision for the national rugby team and his country as a whole. Together, Mandela and the success of the team changed South Africa, transforming a broken, divided nation. It really was inspiring. There was one line in particular that stood out to me: during an interaction between the captain of the rugby team (Matt Damon) and one of Mandela’s bodyguards, Damon asks what Nelson Mandela is like. The bodyguard said something like this: “Our last president wanted me to remain invisible. To him (Mandela), no one is invisible.”
I’ve been thinking about that line a lot, and more specifically, how I can adopt that characteristic – to really recognize every person I meet and make them feel valuable. That’s hard, though, right? We’re such selfish critters. And as I observe this country, I am completely overwhelmed by the needs that exist. There are so many people living in poverty here - and there’s not just a lack of money or food, but a lack of love. Children are in the streets cleaning the windshields of cars with feather dusters. They are selling newspapers and flowers and bracelets, standing at windows with open palms, pointing to their mouths. In addition to the deprivation of basic needs like food, clean water, and adequate shelter, they are not being loved and nurtured, and most of them are not even recognized by the stone faces on the other side of the glass. Sometimes that is me. The other day I was talking with my friend along the riverside – we were trying to have a serious conversation while we ate on the rail of the walkway, but person after person continued to approach us, begging for money. We ignored them, trying to carry on a normal discussion. I hated it. I ignored human beings who were five inches from me. I made them invisible. Some of them were deceitful, but that’s not the point. There’s a reason they are asking – real people with real needs are in a position to ask for something.
I look at ways to really make a difference here, or anywhere for that matter, and sometimes it seems too big. Every day I'm faced with the decision – do I give something or do I ignore the person in front of me? Should I stop or should I keep walking? I try to justify moving on - I can give money to the children in the streets, which they might keep, but most likely it will go to someone with more power. I can give them food so they don’t go hungry for a night, but I can’t take a little girl out of her circumstances by giving her an apple. Rather than looking at what I can’t control, however, I have to start thinking about what I can do at the moment. Whether or not I have something in my pocket, I can look every person in the eye. I can grab a hand or smile. I need that from people, so others must too. I know the kids at the school need it – I know every child I’ve had in a classroom has needed that.
I'm always crossing paths with someone – I don’t know why, but there we are, sitting on the same corner. Most of the time it’s not even about me helping someone. The question isn’t really whether or not the money or the apple will cure their hunger or sickness – because it won’t. Not really. It's not a solution. I think the question is whether or not I’m willing to give something I have to someone who has a need. I think these situations are opportunities to allow someone else – a total stranger or a good friend – to affect my heart. And hopefully, in that moment they will feel loved in some way.
It reminds me of a song I've been listening to... I think the chorus is written like a prayer:
Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity

Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
(Brandon Heath)

No comments:

Post a Comment