Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Don't See That Every Day...

Yeah, yeah I do. I wish I had a camera in my pocket all the time, because these everyday occurences are still pretty funny. The other day I saw a monk smoking a cigarette… can they do that? They kick it at the mall with their cell phones, and pile on the back of motos. I see everything on motos (I know I talk about this a lot, but it really is hilarious) – I saw two guys carting a full size mattress a while back and wondered why I bothered renting a Uhaul the last time I moved, when I had a fully functioning ten speed. In fact, I’ve become so comfortable on the back of motorcycles myself that now I eat breakfast while we roll down the street. I jump on the back with my coffee and a cup of yogurt. The other day a guy came to the school to cut down dead palm branches with a big ol machete. He scurried up the tree in a matter of seconds, and soon coconuts were falling from the sky. Everyone celebrated by lopping the tops off and punching straws through the meat to get to the juice. I wasn’t finished with mine by the time I had to leave, so I was drinking from an enormous green coconut, swerving through traffic on the back of a beat up Honda. I also used to think it was funny when bunnies ran through the door of my classroom or birds flew in from the vents in the wall, but they have become frequent visitors. There’s also a constant stench of burning garbage, insense, and raw chicken in the room until lunch. Every day a man walks through the gate of the school with a giant block of ice on his shoulder – about a meter long, no plastic. They crush it in a pillowcase with a club and throw it in a cooler for the day. I still laugh at stuff all the time, but very little surprises me.

No comments:

Post a Comment