Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ode to Sweat

I marvel at how people here can roam around with jeans and long sleeves and act like they are comfortable. When you get closer, it becomes clear that everyone is sweating. Beads of moisture are sitting on every forehead (I still have everyone beat, hands down – I have full on streams of sweat)… and comfort is relative. I think people just give up on the idea of dressing appropriately for the climate and sweat out their fashion statement. Go ahead and try to conserve energy. Test out that dinky paper fan. Invest in dri-fit. You'll still sweat. So it makes me think of Dr.Seuss... and I’m going to try my hand at poetry:
I will sweat in cowboy boots
In aqua socks or strappy shoes
I will sweat in shorty shorts
In linens, cottons, mesh, or courds
During church and at the school,
Water’s so hot, sweat in the pool.
I sweat in tanks, pajamas, skirts
Pit stains dominate all my shirts.
I sweat if I sit, I sweat if I stand
Doesn’t matter if I crank the fan
Typing alone – only fingers move
Sweat in every single groove.
Try to wear a lightweight tee,
But your only hope is to find A/C
So wear your jeans, your wool socks too
Either way, it'll get the best of you
Embrace the glow, love the stain
Calories don’t melt without some pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment