Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mmmmm...

I lied before. There is still a lot that surprises me. Today I was going out to the kitchen to get some water and talk with the cooks, and for the first time, I was really disgusted by food prep. I get the spiders, I get the random organs in the soup, and I slurp down the brown sqares of blood that jiggle around like jello. I have also eaten pig skin in soup and found it to be pretty tasty. But today I watched one of the women pluck the hairs out of the skin of a pig, which was draped over a basket like a pink baby blanket. It looks very different in lemongrass broth, so I'll probably forget this process by noon tomorrow - I just didn't realize that they bought sheets of hairy skin for lunch. The other day they roasted up some baby frogs. I've had frog legs before, which taste a lot like chicken, but these little guys went down one at a time and had a different flavor. The crunch of a potato chip, but the texture of shrimp. Or frog. It is what it is, I guess.

Today it's raining, and I just want to dance in it. It's light - nothing like the flooded street we rode our bikes through - but enough to cool this place down a little bit. The thunder is rolling and the kids are huddled under small umbrellas and a metal roof between classrooms. All of the cockroaches ran through the window to find cover as well, but I'm accustomed to their company - they are breeding in the corner of our kitchen too. I'm left wondering why they don't throw those guys on the BBQ, but I won't ask. I'm sure I've already unknowingly consumed a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment